View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Is there inherent, observable randomness in the universe?

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you don't care for the Copenhagen interpretation, radioactive decay still appears to be a completely random process.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very interesting and looks to be a strong argument, but to me it again simply shows our own limitations, ie. our lack of understanding of what causes radioactive decay.

A weakening factor is that, unlike the uncertainty principle which claims we can NEVER know the position of certain particles, this example only shows that we DON'T AT THE MOMENT know what causes a particular atom to decay.

In my limited browsing I found this experiment which shows that one type of decay may be caused by neutrinos, an assertion which, if true, would suggest that the seemingly random behavior of decaying atoms is only pseudo-random.

It also makes this statement:

"In contemporary physics, it is well-known and widely accepted that radioactive decay is governed by quantum-mechanical tunnel effects"

which I don't really understand, but if it's *governed* by QM, then doesn't its determinism/randomness depend on QM's determinism/randomness?