Thread: On Phil (H)
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: On Phil (H)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The very next hand, at a different table now, I'm still talking about throwing away pocket queens when I pick up pocket queens again and open for $1,800. Incredibly, the big blind moves me all in! This time, I feel that my opponent has J-J or worse, but I still fold my hand faceup. The big blind shows 7-7. I don't mind this at all. After all, I could have gone out if he hit a 7. Besides that, who in WSOP history will ever lay down Q-Q in back-to-back hands for a single reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this sucks.
If you lay down a hand when you consider yourself a 4.5 to 1 favorite because you think you're BETTER than that, you suck and you're full of yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Phil trying to save face. Phil has made preflop calls with AK where he could be no more than around 3-1 favourite. The AK v QT varkonyi hand comes to mind. No question, he folded QQ because he thought he was beat or in a race at best. Phil shows, and the guy then embarrassed him by showing 77. That would have messed with Phils ego for months, and his column was his way of doing something about it by rewriting history, telling the world he made the correct read of lower pair, and turning his laydown into a great accomplishment.

[ QUOTE ]
He is actually skilled enough to make terrific reads but is so in love with playing "his way"-- that weak-tight small-pot style-- that he will make laydowns even when he "knows" he is ahead,

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt he will, not if he's 100% sure and it's a decent edge.