View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: MMMMMMM and others US foreign policy defenders - ethics?

[ QUOTE ]
At this point I am all for giving Iraqi's self determination.

When you are occupied by a foreign force, and when the political apparatus in place remains so primarily due to the foreign force, that is not freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more free than now than it was under Saddam, and will continue to move towards greater freedom as Iraqis become more capable of handling their own security. To leave now would be negligent given the extent of their lack of preparedness and the extent of insurgent attacks.

[ QUOTE ]
The Iraqi's voted in elections that Saddam held too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, come on. It's not an election when there is only one candidate[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The elections mean little until the foreign forces have left and a sustained political system is in place.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that 78% of Iraqis voted is highly significant. Give things some time, jeez.

[ QUOTE ]
Whether that political system is democracy or theocracy or fascist is their choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, and not so simple. But we can save that discussion or debate for another thread.

[ QUOTE ]
The poll, if valid, clearly says that Iraqi wants to be free of the occupation, so they can pursue their own fate at their own hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be reading too much into that part of the poll. I have read polls which interestingly show BOTH of the following: 1) that Iraqis don't like the American presence and wish it the occupation was already over, AND 2) that Iraqis don't want the Americans to leave them alone to face the insurgents yet.

[ QUOTE ]
Is that likely to happen anytime soon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your definition of soon, I'd guess;-) When the Iraqis have a stable and functioning government and are capable of handling their own security affairs, America will probably leave.