View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Dealing with the (sick) gambler

Hi davet,

Jeffage's reply is very good. I agree that we all have that compulsive gambler in us. I guess we overlook that when we are winning. When we are losing, then we start to doubt our intentions and skill.

One way I deal with my inner sick desires to gamble is to establish a life outside of poker. This gives me a way to be grounded and not go over the edge. Granted, I had a life prior to taking up the game seriously. I feel your first bad step was to take the prop job. There's plenty of money to be made playing cards even if you have another source of primary income and/or career. You need not make this a career. There are very few people in this world that can make this a long term success. I'm certainly not one of them. Now you're in a position where you don't have anything to fall back on.

You can look at the whole process of variance, like most others do, if you like. And wait it out and expect the beats to stop. But you're certainly not in the right state of mind, and most likely, you're not playing your best. How much more do you want to fall? For you to post this thread, it probably is pretty bad already.

My suggestion is to continuing playing cards if you like, but start something else so your focus shifts. Go back to your old job/school/whatever. But you need a regular income for focus and money. Then perhaps your game will improve, as will your outlook and attitude.

Use this thread as what the forum has intended it to do, to help you with your game. Don't use it as a reason to continue down the bumpy road that you've steered yourself into. Good luck.