View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Playing a Medium Stack Effectively

Playing the medium stack is probably the worst part of my game. When small stacked, I pick spots and use good preflop play to take down blinds and double up thru races and whatnot. Big stacked, I try to grind it out and steal blinds while putting pressure on the medium stacks. But the medium stack is a little harder, if you try to steal and someone comes over the top when you have 15x the bb for example, you just lost 1/5th of your stack. Have it happen again and it's another 1/4th of your stack, and you are now in short stack territory.

I also think that restealing with a medium stack is something I need to start trying to do, I do well as the big stack, and as a short stack I don't mind getting it all in on a possible coinflip, but as a medium stack, I'm a little hesitant to come over the top of an EP raise with a hand like 77, or much less, 89s. It's part of my game I have been trying to improve lately, and I can't wait to hear some insight from some of the better players here about this.