View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Three-handed position with a good player

Fish on your right, TAG on your left.

From your button:
When it's your button, fish is in the BB and the TAG will fold more SBs to your raises and the fish will never fold a BB. You'll be HU with position on the fish a decent amount. If it's reversed than the fish is always calling out of the SB giving the TAG a better price to enter the pot and TAG has immediate position on the fish. Bad news for you.

From your SB:
If you're the SB, and the fish is the button he's going to limp sometimes letting you come in cheap and when he raises you can first isolate him. If the TAG is the button he has position on you and you drive the fish out to isolate the TAG. Then you're playing a pot OOP and not with your "target." If you just call, the tag's still in the best position to win a big pot from the donk unless you make a hand. And, of course, there's folding in the SB, which just sucks because the TAG is playing heads up with the fishy guy and you want his money

From your BB:
When I'm in the BB and the TAG's on the button, he'll be raising more and the SB donk will be cold calling more giving me 5:1 on my BB hands with immediate position on the donk. If the donk is the button you'll likely get more free play. Pots will be smaller. This isn't necessarily bad because it exaggurates the donks mistakes postflop, but a donks play is probably less terrible EV wise in a 3-handed game. For example, when he peels with a mid-range gutshot for 2 or 3 bets on the flop, its probably not as bad in a 3-handed game because his gutshot might have 2 overs to a winner with it, etc. So I'd rather play a big pot where I can isolate the donk than play a small one where I have to fold more to the TAG when he bets/or cr's before me.

So TAG left and fish right gives you the chance at the fishes money, IMO