View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Some basic hands, empire $2k

Hand 1: Ultimately its early, so my usual line is to take a shot at the flop and give it up if I meet any serious resistance. Checking and calling a small bet to keep the pot size under control isn't bad - a lot of cards can come on the turn that really improve your hand with redraws: three fours, four fives, eight other hearts. 4 or 5 of hearts would be really nice.

Hand 2: nothing wrong with calling here in position and playing some postflop poker. You'd prefer this pot to be multiway, and calling here you're likely to get a blind or two to come along and decent implied odds to get paid off if you hit your hand big. As a beginner, the key is to not lose a lot of money when you just hit a single pair on this hand.

Hand 3: with your read on both Villans as somewhat tight, what you you put their hand range on to re-raise and cold-call a raise preflop? I don't dislike your line of just calling preflop, and I'd check the flop. However, leading the flop can help to define your hand here. Against two players I've read as tight who have re-raised and cold-called preflop, I'd check the flop most of the time when i miss.

Hand 4: holding the Ah helps, so giving a cheaper turn card isn't horrendous. However, villian clearly likes his hand so most of the time I'll just push the flop and expect the call. The only reasonable hand we're behind here is JJ and if he's got that we're going broke here anyways.

Hand 5: standard across. Check-raising that turn on a semi-bluff is a solid play if you read weakness in your opponent's likely probe bet there. I might be 350 on the river to encourage a call or feign weakness hoping for a reraise.

Hand 6: great time for a continuation bet. 400-500 would usually be my line.