View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Dead man\'s hand...

Actually, I consider myself the favorite, and I'm not being cocky as most usually do as well. He is certainly one of the better players however. I was HOPING he had AJ or better. Thats the problem, I put him on only a 3 hand range, AK, AQ, AJ, and never deviated from that, even when his actions on the turn should have made me realize how much trouble I was in. The hand should have never reached fourth street either. I basically allowed him to draw out on me when I had a very strong hand. Playtitleist hit the nail on the head. I was trying to explain to a friend of mine that this was in no way a bad beat, and he seemingly didn't want to hear. In fact, I didn't even get unlucky. Had he called a big raise on the flop and then hit the 4 I would consider it a bad beat. He was simply continuing his preflop aggression, which is perfectly reasonable, and which I was expecting. My play is to raise his flop bet and be thankful that I won an extra bet. I stupidly tried to win more on later streets when the only outcomes possible were a) having him fold to me on the turn unimproved, or b) he draws out on me on the turn and basically takes all my chips. This is why raising on the flop is the only play. Had I had AA, slowplaying is STILL not the best play as a straight draw could come in on the turn if I'm not careful. However, I wouldn't argue against slowplaying a set of aces on this flop, even with the presence of the 7 and 8. I called his all-in on the turn instantly as well. Basically, I had a terrible brain fart during this hand and played it about as bad as one can play aces up, pairing both hole cards. I turned a great situation into a disasterous one, and I have no one to blame for it but myself. No bad beat, no bad luck, just poor poker.