View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Re: I suck, but how badly? 2/4 B&M hand

The preflop limp isn't a bad play in general here. In fact, it probably makes no difference if you limp/raise/fold in the long run with unknown game conditions. If you had something like A7s, then you would obviously want to raise. I like a fold in the game conditions you present (tight w/ a manaic) but I'm certainly raising if I'm going to play here. With a bunch of loose players behind you (and no maniac), you could probably make a good case for just limping in here (or folding as well). It is very tough to play hands like A2s against over aggressive players since they flop weak hands and you usually get bet out of the pot with decent winning chances (though you don't know it b/c he could hold a monster or nothing when he goes crazy). It is best to play pots with strong hands that can withstand a lot of postflop action against a maniac.

The flop is probably closer then I'm assuming, but weak-tight players don't call two cold on the flop very often. This is a spot where I would raise with loose/bad people behind me since I expect them to coldcall. Here I just call and hope to make a hand that I can get into a war with the maniac with. The downside is that you can clear up ace outs with a raise, but I don't know if the upside is there in a 5 SB pot.

Bet the turn as it gives your hand away when you check on a blank. You aren't worried about spewing bets here as much as you are trying to keep the maniac honest. You lose a small fraction of a bet (at most) if you get raised now, but betting could gain you 2-3 BB of action on the river if you hit the flush since it will be tough to put you on that hand.

Brad