View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Re: The R-word

[ QUOTE ]
(To elaborate a bit, I believe that there was much flippancy about the Barbershop dialogue. Myself, I enjoy any movie that can entertain, even if the story or the dialogue are as left-field as they come. But I would not cite what an actor said in a movie as "historical evidence"!)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not citing it as "historical evidence". My reason for posting it was to show that this opinion is not limited to Beer and Pizza or to whites.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So how do we get from "might have been somewhat [prejudiced]" to "he's a racist"?

[/ QUOTE ]
By jumping to conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[ QUOTE ]
Once more, here is my claim, verbatim: [ QUOTE ]
When someone describes Rosa Parks as a "passive person" and a "pawn", then that person is (a) a lousy speaker of English, (b) out of his f*cking mind, or (c) a racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to substitute (c) with "ignorant of History".

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what Beer's intention was when he said that. Maybe he was just trying to stir the shitpot. Which would not make him ignorant/racist, "out of his f*cking mind, or a lousy speaker of English.

But it would be nice if we could debate other people's ideas without resorting to namecalling and race card throwing, wouldn't it?

Can the case not be made that Rosa Parks has received a lot more fame than she deserved as there were many other blacks who did they same thing she did? Obviously she is well known because her case was the one that eventually overturned the segregation of buses. But that is not something she could really control. Is it possible that her role as a secretary for the NAACP was what helped grease the wheels for her road to fame?

Or am I now both a racist and ignorant for daring to ask such questions?