View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Pros Hate Playing Novices. . .

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A pro should shrug it off, and take the long view, confident that the donks, as a category of player, overall pay him far more than they take.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be so true if you didn't count the last four Main Events WHICH WERE WON BY NOBODIES!

[/ QUOTE ]

Our own Greg Raymer is a nobody?? I understand that the pros are frustrated with tournaments they can't win. With 5000+ WSOP entrants, the field must be, what, 80% or more amateurs? Given that some of those amateurs are pretty talented, the chances that the winner will not be a well-known pro are excellent (I hesitate to say "inevitable", but it may well be).

Pros can't have it both ways - if the let the donks into their tournaments and take their money, they have to recognize that the dynamics of the game change, and they will suffer more bad beats.

I realize that is not any more comforting to a Hellmuth, in the heat of the moment when he lost the Main Event like he did, but a classy professional would have apologized later for his insults, and a savvy professional would apologize, if for no other reason, then to avoid scaring off that donkey money from their tournaments that the pros have come to depend upon.

Cheers, Carl.