Thread: Ehitcs revisted
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Ehitcs revisted

[ QUOTE ]
I think I agree with all 3. Or maybe have some disagreements. I'll need more details, though.

Here's your summary:

Chez: Ethics derived from values; goodness based on helping others.
Doug: Ethics derived from values; goodness based on helping yourself.
David: Ethics determined by society.

I think personal ethics (morality) is determined by what increases happiness. It's comprised of what increases your happiness, as well as what increases the happiness of others. Since we live in a shared reality, we have to cooperate with each other, and come to a consensus about what things are good or bad for the society. So, I think I agree with all 3 of you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if this is a 4th camp or if it's a better explaination of one of the camps.
KipBond: ethics is determined by what increases happiness.

Does it place any wieght on whose happiness? Is one's own "happiness unit" a ratio to a "happiness unit" of another that is close to you or of a perfect stanger.
I say one's own happiness is worth a ton more than the rest. I am going to take the AR persepctive that increasing the happiness unit of a love one is done only because it increases a happiness unit of oneself.
Chez, I think, may be working on a relationship approaching 1 to 1 but never exceeding it in relation to strangers. But possibly exceeding it in the case of love ones.
David, I think, and it's hard for me to tell. Sees strong evidence for the random "happiness unit" as good. As well as the self "happiness unit". Of course he may think this whole ehtics is a merely never ending conflict. Chez might agree with that statement he would just have to remove the merely.

Where do you rank happiness units?