Thread: Typical JJ Flop
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Typical JJ Flop

[ QUOTE ]
"but there still has to be a correct autopilot strategy for when the hero has no imformation/read on his opponents,"

I disagree. That's like saying there must exist a correct autopilot golf club to use, no matter what the distance to the hole is. There can be no golf shot without the distance component. There can be no betting decision at B&M poker without the opponent component.

The opponents are not an add-on to the considerations that go into a betting decision. They are omnipresent and exactly as much a part of every decision as you and the cards are. And the amount that each of us knows about our opponents, just by breathing the same air, even for seconds, is vast beyond the ages. Getting to know things about people just by being next to them is not a skill. It is an evolutionarily selected adaptation.

Further, I believe that the belief in the existence of correct autopilot strategies at B&M poker is bad belief selection.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats a nice heartwarming story, but every good player should have a winning autopilot strategy to fall back on when he has no reads of his opponents or the situation. Not only do I strongly believe this, Mason Malmuth himself mentioned this concept of having a strong autopilot strategy as being one of the necessary ingredients for being a winning player in one of his poker essays books(i cant remember which one) I dont think what I am stating is controversial, and I think your posts in this thread were very insightful, but in many situations your ideas will not be applicable and thats where a strong foundation in basic strategy takes over.