Thread: Typical JJ Flop
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Typical JJ Flop

"I usually bet this turn (and fold to a c/r) and check UI on the river.

I think it's obvious that this play is superior to checking the turn and calling a river bet, but I feel that both of these may be inferior to simply checking the turn and folding to any bet on the river.

Am I giving up too much by checking the turn?"

------------

BoxTree,

I look at it this way. Sometimes I will have the best hand on the turn and I want to always bet the turn in that case. Sometimes I will not have the best hand on the turn and my opponents will not fold to a bet, and I want to always check the turn in that case. Sometimes I will have the best hand, but if I bet, an opponent will raise with a worse hand, and I'll fold, and I definitely want to check the turn when that is what would happen if I bet.

I want to get it right 100% of the time. But of course that is impossible. So instead, I accept this failure within the system, and then I shoot for perfection anyway.

Being checked to on the turn in headsup and threeway pots after being the preflop and flop aggressor is my life. Getting it right is why I'm there. Best advice I can give to you on this matter is, pay attention, to everything, always, especially yourself, so that when they check to you, you are free and ready, and if you decide to check behind on the turn, then yes, you really are allowed to just fold on the river. That's the freest play of them all. And there can be no doubt that many times it is the correct line, just as there can be no doubt that sometimes an opponent will have an ace or better. It is inevitably so. But you can't know in advance when it is right to check the turn and fold the river. All you can do is be ready to.

Tommy