View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: TPTK against 2 opps

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With the draw-heavy board, my plan was to try to control the pot size and see a cheap turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, with the draw heavy board, and you with the made hand, its more likely that your opponents are hoping for a cheap turn.

You've got to raise the flop. That is the way to control the pot size, and end the hand early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is my thinking off? I didn't want to give drawing hands reverse implied odds. If I'd raised PS instead of villain1, villain1 would have called (best case)and villain2 (assuming he's on a draw) would have all the (implied) odds he needed. So the result would be an inflated pot with 2 opponents. That's not controlling the pot size in my book. If villain2 is on a super-draw, I'm actually behind and will not get him to fold - at least not on the flop.

I'm all about raising when I think I'm in the lead, especially to scare away draws. Here, I deemed the situation too marginal to be the aggressor as there were too many factors against me: I could already be beaten (AA, KK, QQ, TT and maybe 99, QTs), I'm OOP against a (respected) preflop bettor, and there are too many draw alternatives: any club (9), any 8 (3) and K (3) or J (3) for a total of 15 possible outs.

The hand started having the signs of people pushing their stacks and I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. If I call, it must be with the intention to bet the pot (around $11) on the turn if blank (leaving me pot committed) and fold to one otherwise. So am I a chicken? So far, I've invested $1.95 and calling/raising would mean that I'd have to be prepared to put most of my stack on the line.

Obviously, I'm posting this to take input/thoughts and improve my own game. I appreciate your input, especially if you would have played this differently. Maybe I've been burned too many times with TPTK. ...and then again, I might just be a whimpy chicken.