View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Speaking of defending your BB 3 handed with suited trash.

Given your reads - your flop check-call isn't good. You should bet here majority of time to make troubles to your aggro opponent and get your value from UTG's probable high cards (or find out that he's on overpair as quick as possible to muck this hand on turn).

And attention: you should muck this hand preflop! (Even if you play postflop perfectly).

2 reasons for it:

1. Raiser has UTG position. Probability for him to have big pair is very high for your tiny flopped pairs. Increased implyed odds that gives you your aggro-guy not really compensate it too far.

2. It's 2/4 game. Rake is big. That forces you to complete in SB or call in BB somewhat lesser than in 15/30 or 30/60.
Of course people here play worse and you get more implyed value. But the other reason is also important - people also fold less here too. Assuming these 2 factors nearly compensate each other leading us to defend less because of rake.

I once posted my investigations in mid-high forum. This topic becomes quite popular around 2+2 limit forums and see many quotes and links every week. Please note in future that defending with weak suited hands 3-way is marginal and isn't well in my opinion for games below 10/20. First reason is rake, second reason - preflop raiser at these limits far more tighter than in higher games.

If i played 2/4 i would defend suited 1-gappers+, Jxs+. No more.