View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: French fries and salt.

No, but I never do. Salt and sugar are the two instinctive favorite tastes that humans like, so most people will like them even in extremely high amounts on almost any dish and think it tastes better. Even if it basically obliterates the taste of the dish entirely. We like what we like. And that's salt and sugar.

But many foods taste fine on their own. Potatoes can be dull, especially if they're cold. Cold french fries definitely taste better salted. But hot fries, especially good steak fries, taste fine without salt. I usually try to eat less salt and less sugar in every dish to see if I can discover what it really tastes like and learn to appreciate it, instead of nuking the taste with salt or sugar. One of the main reasons salt or sugar seem wanted and needed in every dish by people is because they become habituated to it, and can't really taste food properly anymore. Drop the habit and you won't find food lacking as much anymore, as you'll learn to really taste and appreciate it as it is. Things will begin to taste better.