View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: work evaluation having to rate co-wokers ?

[ QUOTE ]
If the reviews are taken seriously and are confidential, then genuine, honest, reviews should be okay. Remember, if it's a small place, everyone already knows what everyone thinks of each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's an important difference between what co-workers suspect you think about them, and what's on any sort of official record like a 360 review. Especially if the reviews are tied to performance boni etc.

The last time I participated in a 360 review (small PE shop 40 people) I went in with the goal of being honest, candid, and with an eye towards improving the company. I also trusted my manager, who conducted the review (it was an interview-style where he took notes).

However, I did not realize his assistant would be filing / reading all the reviews... needless to say this assistant was friends with one of my colleagues yada yada - and it ended up being incredibly annoying for me for a few months. Nothing I said was malicious - I was trying to be constructive.

Unless you are fairly high-up in the company with a real investment in your future there, looking to improve the company, I would personally recommend being as bland and neutral as possible in your reviews. Little upside with lots of potential downside.