View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: how pissed off should i be?

Okay, here's how I read it.

You are pissed/frustrated because something happened--and you couldn't do anything about it. It's a control issue.

Then, you're frustrated by another control issue--your perception that she didn't do "what she should have done" or "could have done" or "what you would have done"...

So. You need to stop blaming yourself for "not being there to protect her" or whatever--but more importantly, you need to stop blaming *her*. Don't be "pretty convinced that she did nothing wrong"--be absolutely certain of it. (And stop looking for something that she did wrong, anyway.)

Your only role here is to be supportive to her. As another poster said, let her take control of the situation. *your* control issues need to take a back seat. This includes not criticizing her or doing a "what could she have done better" or a "what should she do next time" line on things. You're not her parent--don't patronize her. Even if you think you're trying to be helpful, you're not and you'll only make things worse. "What do I do to protect myself" is a good question, but you are not the person to answer it.

As for the question of "justice", I tend to believe in karmic outcomes for these things--which is to say that if these dudes do this sort of thing out of habit, it *will* catch up with them. Whether or not that involves some action on your girlfriend's part is up to her, though--not you.

-my 2 P.