View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: What is the best way to play AK AQ preflop?

[ QUOTE ]
My question has to do with how to play the AK, AQ, and KQ (LP) type of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what I've done NL $25, $50 and $100 full ring. It's ok so far. It's pretty weak tight with these hands (I'm 17% VPIP, 7% PFR).

Obviously reads change the general rules, but these work for me without any read besides PT stats.

I figure a standard raise is 4xbb+1bb/limper.

AKo and AKs: Any position, standard raise.

EP and MP out of position on caller(s): On the flop, if I'm EP heads up, then I'll make a continuation bet if an A or K flop for just under the size of the pot. If I miss, but there is a J or a Q, I'll make a continuation bet. If I miss and it's all low cards, I'll make a continuation bet half the time, and check/fold half the time.

If there is a field of 2 or more behind me, I make a continuation bet if an A or K hit, but check/fold otherwise.

Out of position, I fold to a reraise if I think the villain is tight preflop, but call up to a min-raise otherwise. I then lead the flop if A or K flops and check/fold otherwise.

LP and MP (with position on caller(s)): On the flop, if I'm heads up with position and everybody checks to me, then I'll make a continuation bet if an A or K flop for just under the size of the pot. If I miss, but there is a J or a Q, I'll make a continuation bet. If I miss and it's all low cards, I'll make a continuation bet half about 3/4 of the time, and take a free card 1/4 of the time. I'll take a free card every time if I have a note on at least one villain like, "Calls c/b w/ TPWK." I'll reevaluate my position, and fold to a reraise here if I missed the flop altogether. I'll also check the turn unless there is an obvious draw, in which case I'll bet 1/2 pot on the turn and reevaluate my situation on the river. I'd really rather give a free card if I think it's most likely not to hurt me since this keeps the pot under control for me. It also feigns weakness so my 1/4 or 1/2 pot value bet gets called by TPWK or 2nd button on the river.

I call a min-reraise, but fold to bigger re-raises. I also respect most re-raises and don't bluff at the re-raiser on the flop if I miss my TPTK. I fold to an all-in re-raise.

KQs LP or MP w/ position: If limped or folded to me, I make a standard raise and play it just like AK. I call a standard raise with position, but fold to an overbet-sized raise.

KQs EP or MP without position or EP: I limp/call playing for a straight or flush draw to semi-bluff with, or call with if there are the right odds, or two-pair. I don't play TPWK for any money if I only limp in, especially out of position. I fold to a raise out of position.

KQo in any position: I fold this everywhere except on the button or SB if its folded to me, in which case I make a standard raise and play it like AK.

IN ALL CASES: I really, really, really hate getting stacked with TPTK because I didn't read my opponent correctly and he really DID have that set or 2-pair instead of something that I beat. TPTK is good, but it's not worth getting stacked over. Rarely, I'll put it all in with TPTK vs a maniac who routinely goes too far with too little, but these guys are rare and don't last long.