View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Are SNG players good poker players ??

I think SNGs are easier than other forms of poker, but then, I would, because I'm suited to SNGs.

Analytical people naturally gravitate to SNGs because they require a more technical skill set. 6 max limit holdem is a very profitable game as well, but it requires less technical skills and more understanding of psychology.

A lot of the time in SNGs, your opponents' hands and play styles are totally irrelevant. Say you're on the bubble, medium stacked, and there's a short stack. You're in the BB and it folds to the big stack SB who pushes. You have A9o. What does the big stack have? The correct answer is "who cares?". Similarly, a lot of the plays which differentiate good SNG players from bad (early caution, pot odds calls, big stack bullying tactics etc) are completely independent of opponents. It's like a complex form of solitaire.

When I do make a play based on my read of an opponent, often it's some overt hint they've given me that hand... like not betting enough, indicating weakness, or making a big overraise, indicating they don't want me to call. I rarely try to manipulate another player's state of mind... which in short handed LHE can be a key tactic.

Does all this make SNG players "worse poker players"? I don't know... how do you define a "good poker player"? To me the only definition that makes sense is how much money they make over the long term.