View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 PM

Default What is the best way to play AK AQ preflop?

Hey, this is one of my first posts on these boards, but I have been reading for a while, and I have always learned a lot from the posters here.

I have been playing online for a few months now, playing B&M and homegames for about 3 years. I play on pacific, 50NL because most of the players are absolutely aweful. This of course can be very good most of the time and very frustrating at other times.

My question has to do with how to play the AK, AQ, and KQ (LP) type of hands. It seems like reasonable raises often do nothing to chase out limpers, because they already feel "committed" after posting a whole fifty cent blind. This makes continuation bets a nightmare, because it seems near impossible to represent a flop to five other donks who may have caught any peice of the flop and will call your bet with that peice or any draw or any overcard. I figure if I actually hit the flop about a third of the time, then most of those hands I will actually win (if I dont get drawn out on).

My question is this. Should I just be limping in w/ AK AQ since if I don't hit, a bluff wont yield +EV, and if I raise preflop they will just call anyway? Or is it best to raise since I am probably the favorite preflop and let them make the mistake of calling with a 3 6 sOOted?

Or should I be raising more preflop, to say 10 times the BB? This would make a significant continuation bet more expensive and still present the problem of trying to move a donk of a now even larger pot?

What do you guys do at table like this?