View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Bush appoints Bernake Chairmen of the Federal Reserve

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
He had too many dramatic corrections to the fed fund rate. Examples. Early 70's extreme low intrest rates which helped fuel the hyperinflation in the late 70's. Then to counter the hyperinflation they raised the fed fund way too high and then helped fuel the recession of 1982. In a nutshell thats why

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, Volcker didnt become Chairman of the Federal Reserve until 1979, so he had little to do with the stagflation of the 70s. His "excessive" correction to the monetary market is widely regarded by most economists as having been a necessary and proper step. Seriously, very few people in the know will denigrate Volcker. Please dont take this to mean that I consider myself to be "in the know", but rather that I have seen very little criticism of him.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I hope your not serious, our the graph of our economy would turn into a picture of the rocky mountains, with extreme fluctuations up and down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im quite serious. It doesnt need to be gold per se, but some sort of fixed standard would be nice. The new Fed Chairman supports an inflation target for monetary policy, which is a semi-acceptable substitute. By the way, back in his rebellious youth, Greenspan advocated for a return to the gold standard. You can find his missive online, just google it.