View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Not Quite Like Feeny

Hi Mikey,
[ QUOTE ]
...there is a few things I have been reading which I must say are not absolutely true, about how your opponents perceive you and how they are paying attention, most of it is not true, because they are much more concerned with what they are holding than what you are holding not to mention the fact that when a tight guy does raise, most of them are thinking....

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think it's fair to try and use Feeney's essay as a contradiction to your particular hand, or your particular opponents and games. It's been over five years since Feeney wrote the book and his opponents at the time may surely be different than yours.

I agree with you about how most opponents do not worry about how dominated they may be, but more of how strong their own hands are. That is why we play, because of these great games. However, what Feeney warns is that as we move up in limits (which is the main point of most of his book), you will run into more thinking opponents, some of whom will play you according to your image that they perceive. In HIS case, he simply felt betting was the best option.

Remember that it's not really correct to say how OTHERS perceive us. Everyone thinks differently and perceptions will vary. In your case, your opponent (assuming he's holding a queen) felt that check-raising was the best play. His perception of your aggression was probably that you would bet all the way and would eventually call a river raise also.

As for the hand, there's plenty of hands that he could be holding, especially since he's calling down all the way. Most likely he's holding two paints, but my uneducated guess is that he flopped the stone cold nuts.