View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: (22) Am I missing something on how to play AK

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also note that a player at any level would be CORRECT to pay off on an ace high or king high flop w QQ in this spot, with only 395 behind. Not because of pot odds of course, but because you cant just allow your opponent to stop+go, and if checked to, you must bet in such a giant pot .

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow this. If I have QQ in this situation (395 behind, A or K on flop, checked to) I am checking behind. If I bet and he has no A or no K, he's going to fold and I get nothing. If he has an A or a K, he calls and I'm toast. If I check behind, when he has an A or K I still lose on the turn or river, but I would have lost if I bet on the flop anyway. If he has no A and no K he may bluff on the turn or the river and then I win something where if I had bet the flop I would have won nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is that the pot is gigantic compared to your stack and thus you should be less apt to give free cards, especially since your opponent might not bluff if they have nothing anyway. In any case that wasn't my point, my point was that all your money is going to go in the pot anyway with QQ and an overcard on the flop, and that doesn't make you a "donk"