View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Waiting for turn - 2 examples

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is a possible flush draw, and a possible straight draw. That's it. It's not a given that there's a flush draw, and the straight draw is low, making it less likely. In SSH, waiting was called for in the TT hand because there was a straight draw, a flush draw AND overcards that could come, significantly reducing the equity of TT. There aren't that many scare cards in your AJ hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more along the lines of this hand where "da man" waits for the turn with an overpair.

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...t=all&vc=1

Is this example way with an overpair way different than my example with TP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the example is a little different b/c your top pair happens to be an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that my hand is much more vulnerable than Ed Miller's hand in that post. Sure people could pick up a draw on the turn, but with a raise on the flop MP1 and MP2 are getting 5.5:1 odds on the flop which is more than enough for their str8 or flush. With the way the action worked out I guess they're still getting 5:1 on the turn, but with only 1 card to come I feel my top pair has a much higher edge than it did on the flop. Also, bottom / middle pairs would be much quicker to release when facing 2 or 3 cold on the turn rather than just 1 (protecting my hand from those pesky 5-outers).

[ QUOTE ]

IMO you should not be waiting for the turn in hand 1. 1) You are losing too much value. 2) You have a decent chance of protecting your hand from the two players left to act with a flop raise (you're giving them 8.5:1, if you wait for the turn you would be giving them 7:1), and by just calling you are giving them the chance to pick up a draw that they can call profitably with on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am more worried about the draws on the board than the potential draws they might pick up ...