View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Waiting for turn - 2 examples

[ QUOTE ]

Two reasons: One, you're hoping that someone catches up on the turn with two pair, hits an A or K, and you get 3 bets in on the turn in addition to the 2 on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am kind of confused. If I wanted someone with an A or a K to catch up to me, why would raising the flop help this situation? A lot of players might toss their overcard to 2 bets cold, so if having players catch up is my motivation, raising the flop seems counter-productive, especially if I want them to stick around with just an overcard.

Also, wanting people to catch up sounds liek the opposite of :

[ QUOTE ]

Two, you don't want villains with backdoor draws to see a (fairly cheap) turn card. UTG most likely caught a flush draw on the turn and ended up getting 12.5 to 2 or so on his first turn call. SB and BB were probably going to the turn no matter what the action was on the flop -- maybe not the case with UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's kind of hard at the table to allow players with an A or K overcard to stick around & push out the backdoor flush drawers. Also, virtually any flop it is conceivable for someone to have a backdoor flush draw, so if my goal is to always "push out backdoor flush draws" I would never wait for a turn raise ...

I do agree that he had the odds on the turn to draw ... but to me it seemed in this hand that the only thing that could beat me is a running flush draw or maybe some crappy str8 draw (both of which I would have re-draws to my boat to beat) ... potentially building a bigger pot on the flop seemed to have higher expected return (even though I risk losing to a running draw which, unfortunately, did happen this time).