View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Okay, I guess I just suck at this game.

Drawing very thin or dead happens less in stud than in Hold'em. For example, the guy who has 88 when you have KK in he has basically two 8s and perhaps one additional out in terms of straight or flush equity.

But in stud, the same guy has loads of extra outs because he can pair any of his side cards and beat you with two pairs. Of course you can catch a second pair, too and beat him. But it's not likein HE, where a second pair on the board is shared. Plus, since there's an extra BB street, and the cards come one by one he can catch good on fourth -- say he has (98)8 and you have (K6)K
and he now catches a T while you catch a 2. Now he has picked up some help while you have not -- he can afford to take off another card to see if he catches good since if he does he'll have an extra BB street to collect on. Or lets say he catches a second nine -- now he has you beat and has a draw to a f/h in case you do hit a second pair.

I actually play in a stud game on the commuter train which is 1-5 with a $10 max on the river. In that game, players often bet $3 on third and fourth, often making it profitable to chase with draws multiway, since a $6 investment on the first two streets has the potential to yield $20 in bets from multiple opponents on the later streets if you hit.

Of course, chasers abound in stud just like in he -- in low stakes game, people make many more calling than folding errors. But there are times when chasing is more correct than it would be in HE -- particularly on 4th st. vs. the turn.