View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Developing Your Reads

Forum: Texas Hold 'Em Archives
Poster: bunky9590
Thread: Newest Pet Peeve. (Reads)
Number: 1775375
Date: 2.21.05

This thread is basically what you'd expect - an admonition and a warning that we're using stats too much at the expense of reads. While this isn't a new thought, I think it is valuable to have reinforcement every so often. Relying too much on stats is something I think everyone is guilty of periodically.

Here's a similar thread:

Forum: Microlimit
Poster: Entity
Thread: When a read is not a read
Number: 2302308
Date: 5.3.05

In fact, tiltaholic links to bunky's thread near the end of Entity's thread.

There are two things I really like about Entity's thread:
1) Since it's by ENTITY, you're more likely to read it and listen to his advice.
2) He does something bunky does not, which is make an explicit challenge to turn off your HUD and work on your reads and notes. I really think this is a valuable exercise.

As long as I'm sighting some work on reads, here's another thread some may find useful:

Forum: Microlimit
Poster: Droolie
Thread: Pay Attention of Just Pay (how to develop your reads)
Number: 3158790
Date: 8.16.05

This is a really good post by droolie, and there is the additional benefit of having an excellend picture of him in the thread.

And now, some nonsense...I read the famous pattern mapping thread today for amusement. Its everything you've heard it is, only worse by a factor of x=y*sqrt(37.2fn(z^3)log8). I found jek's comments particularly funny. Really, don't read the whole thing. It really deteriorates, but I'm not sure exactly where. Definitely don't read any of the essays.

Forum: Internet Gambling Archives
Poster: ctv1116
Thread: Can Party Poker 4th and 5th street cards be predicted?
Number: 498421
Date: 1.27.04

I also found it hilarious (as one poster in the thread pointed out) how many people posted questions like, 'OMFG, is this for real?!?!?!' despite the fact that the thread had been going on for a while and numberous posters were already saying what a great joke it was.