View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Re: The importance of seat selection

I took a quick look at the PT database earlier. Here are a couple issues that I think could cause trouble:
1) Dealing with the rake. It's pretty easy if 3 people all go to showdown and the rake is $3, but what happens when people fold the flop? I'm not sure how one would want to define what percent of the rake comes from what player. It's possible to just ignore the rake, but then the BB/100 will be overinflated.
2) Chopped pots. It just looks like a pain to write a query to deal with these. Maybe I'm just lazy.
3) Short-handed pots. I'm thinking that the queries should just be written to only look at 10-handed games. Otherwise the stats would be kind of skewed up if you're taking 7-handed stats combined with 10-handed stats.

I was thinking of writing a simpler version of the query that just adds up the total amount won and then return what percent of it came from positions 1-9 to the right (or left) of you. I think this way, the rake could be ignored, and the stats would only be taken from 10-player hands. This isn't as in-depth as what was originally suggested, but it's a starting point.