View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: showing your cards before the showdown

[ QUOTE ]
In tournaments your hand will be dead(folded). In cash-games it might be dead, depending what the situation is and where do you play at. Any case it brings you nothing but the trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very common misconception. I do agree that this tactic will bring nothing but trouble, but that's as far as it goes. Few, if any cardrooms have any written rule that your hand is dead if you expose it on purpose. TDA rules state that you MAY receive a penalty if you do this, but your hand will NOT be killed.

The problem lies in the widescale misconception and ignorance of the rules in players, dealers and floor persons. Your hand may wind up getting killed if you expose it early, but this will almost certainly be an error NOT supported by the house rulebook, and will be done by someone who doesn't KNOW the rules like they should. Furthermore, when I see this happen, and I hear a player yelling "his hand is dead!" it just makes me cringe, cuz I wish the ignorant masses (who don't know diddly) would just keep their big mouths shut and remember that THEY AIN'T THE DEALER AND THEY AIN'T THE FLOOR EITHER.

al