View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 02:39 AM

Default The value of reads.... my proudest laydown (little brag post)

There was a post earlier this week where someone was questioning the value of reads. He thought they were overrated. I was thinking about that when I was struggling with my read here. I was stuck between 'my gut read' and the idea of never laying down a fullhouse...

$50 PP

Hero has ~120
Villain has ~90

Villain is supertight TAG. Doesn't play any weird hands. I have never seen him call a raise without a pocket pair or AK. If he reraises PF, its AA or KK.

UTG raises to $1.50. 1 caller. Hero calls with pocket 10s. Villain calls on the button.

FLOP ($6.75) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets $2. fold. Hero raise to $6. Villain reraises to $12. UTG folds. I smoothcall. I really don't think he has aces because he would have reraised pf. I put him firmly on a set of 4s.

TURN (~30) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check. Villain goes all in. I think and think and can only put him on one hand. I fold.

He shows his quads. I smile.

I can say, this is only the second time I've ever laid down a middle flopped set on an uncoordinated board in 3 years of playing.

I know this doesn't contribute a lot to the forum except to reinforce that reads can be very powerful. There is no other player at this particular table I would have folded this hand too except this guy.