View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Hand from last night #2 - Reverse implied odds?

Now, I've always thought check-raising in NL to be bad OOP UNLESS a. you are against a habitual continuation better, in which case you can check-raise with a wide variety of hands, made and unmade, such as big hands or gutshots with an overcard. This play is made profitable by the unlikelihood of him having anything and the possible strength of your hand.

Now, this play goes down when the board is very draw heavy. If he doesn't have a made hand, he is now drawing to one and there are many scare cards that can get you blown off your made hand. Even if you check-raise here, it may not get him off his hand, which may be as little as K9. So, is check-raising here always a bad play? Is a Stop and Go a good play here?

My thought for a stop and go: if you bet, he MAY fold his AK or if he has a high spade, he may raise or call your bet. If you check, the money is going in anyway and you can call the bet. Then, bet the turn regardless of the card. If it is a spade, he releases his worthless AK or maybe even a red QQ. If it isn't a spade, he will less likely bluff you off the hand since you've shown a tricky/strong line.

It seems this line gets the money in when he has the worst of it and it minimizes the chance of you losing to a bluff. thoughts? do i stop and go too much? is check-folding the flop that terrible a line?