View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Financial Aid/FAFSA Loophole?

This message is for everyone in college/post-college that's familar with the whole financial aid/FAFSA process.

As one knows any student with parent(s) making over $35,000 with only one dependent in college will probably NOT qualify for any government based grants (PELL, FSEOG, and state grants (OSED Ohio; for example). My dad makes about $50K a year so I recieve $0 grants, but my Stafford Loan substidized. I do have a scholarship that pays for tuition but not room/board/books.

So I'm left borrowing the room/board porition, half from Direct Stafford Loan and the other half from a private bank (father co-signer). I am lucky, half of my education is free. But, what if I wanted to screw over Uncle Sam.

I marry another student. Instead of being dependent I am now independent. We both file our taxes "married filing jointly" declare random summer job earnings no more than $3000 or whatever. We automatically qualify for Pell and FSEOG. Our EFC would be 0.

Free money. Just for the $45 marriage license. What is possibly wrong with scenario?

Discuss.