View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Resume Questions (first one)

It sounds like the breadth of your experience would dictate that you shouldn't be sending blind resumes, but finding opportunities through personal and industry contacts. Doing so renders much of the below moot, but that said:

1. Your objective should be tailored to the specific job you're pursuing or not be there at all. The first thing that gets a resume thrown away by me is an objective that doesn't match the job I'm seeking to fill or indicates the applicant would be using my company as a stepping stone to somewhere else.

2. Employment history first.

3. Considering your situation a narrative description of the role you played in the company, directly underneath the typical company/title/dates line, sounds good. Make it short, though. Long enough to be compelling but not so long somebody reading 100 resumes doesn't skip it. I would say no longer than 6-7 lines.

4. Sounds good.

5. Concrete skills, preferably relevant to the job you're pursuing. Save the fluff for your cover letter, if at all.

6. Only include something that might be particularly interesting, like skydiving or something. I would not mention anything gambling-related.

7. If you need to fill the space, which you might, include the "upon request" line. If not, skip it.