View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: I\'m joining NORML.

[ QUOTE ]

For harder drugs, the positives of enabling personal freedoms do not outweigh the negative externailities of more widespread use. For weed I think they do. This is a very subjective value assesment (how does one compare personal freedom to economic DWL and more personal externalities?) but for the vast majority of controlled substances the answer is intuitivly obvious, imo, once an extensive analysis is complete.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think there is much more persuasive arguments to legalize heroin than cannabis, though of course all drugs should be completely legal.

Pure heroin in controlled doses is not inherently harmful - marijuana is.

High black market prices often force heroin addicts to resort to crime in order to feed their addictions - this is hardly the case for marijuana users.

Heroin produced and sold by criminals may vary in strength/be impure and can cause lethal overdoses - when was the last time someone OD'd from getting stronger chronic than they expected?

Restrictions regarding drug paraphernalia spread HIV and other diseases among heroinists.

Marijuana can be produced locally - illegal heroin feed international crime syndicates and may even fund terrorism.