View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Re: How long does it take to get good at poker?

I have only just now broken into a posative BB/100 at party sites after 6k hands. Obviously thats not a horrible downswing but for the 4k hands I played while trying to move up it was pretty terrible. I got knocked back 3 times from NL100 before making it stick. There were faults in my play but I was also getting horrible cards. Its a nasty situation because you're not sure how much you can blame the cards and how much to blame yourself because you have no frame of reference.

My solution is to head off and bonuswhore another site cheaply. Provided you have a neteller account you can move money around quickly without large penalties so its easy to do. I find this helps for a couple of reasons.

1. The bonus money gives you something of a cushion.
2. Its gives you a fresh start, which personally I find helps focus and sharpen my play, reevaluate my preflop range and other basics. It also gives something of a mental break which seperates you from the bad run on the other site.

After my 4k failed hands at -5BB/100 at party I moved to Fulltilt and then Absolute going at about 7-8BB/100 before moving back to party 15k hands later and whiping out my bad start in a couple of hands.

Note, I am in no way suggesting one site is unlucky, rigged or any of the hundreds of conspiricy theories out there.