View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Business Value / Selling % a good move or not?

I understand that it's hard to give a perfect answer with only some of the information about the situation. I appreciate the attempt though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- It is a privately held company
- The company has a service contract with the government (Would rather not get into more detail then that on here)
- Including my 8% half of the company is owned by people in my family. The 8% was basically a gift to me. The other half of the company is owned by someone who my family has had a working relationship with and who is knowledgeable in the field.
- I don't have the ability to make any decisions, but I am able to influence the decision making. Since the ownership base is small and trusted, the decision making isn't an issue for me.

The 10k would be a large percentage of my net worth.(I'm 24 years old) I have only a small amount in an Retirement fund (RRSP) and a few thousand in the bank. I also am buying a new home for 180k which I've put down 15% on already.

I'm starting to be in a comfortable position, but my 8% does account for a huge % of my effective net worth. Even though the company is not much of a risk to not be at least as profitable as it is now, It might be a good idea for me to diversify my portfolio. (Aka create a portfolio)

- The option to sell might could close up, but it could also become greater if other parties do indeed come forward. (Possibility)

- My paycheque currently is completely outside of this company

Thanks for some actual figures DesertCat, I was estimating the general depreciation of the money in 6 years, but it's helpful to have a more black & white analysis.