View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Re: WRONG!! WRONG!! NICKY, YOU ARE WRONG!!! **NM**

"OK. I'm calm now.

Blue Velvet is an excellent, beautiful film. I cannot be convinced otherwise, so do not bother trying."

Just to state my opinion: it's deliberately whacky arthouse nonsense. There's no logic or sense to it - it just tries to be as "out there" as possible. There's no reason to have Dennis Hopper in that ridiculpus mask, or the absurd musical sequence with what's his face from Quantum Leap. It's garbage. I am open to persuasion, however, so if you want to try to convince me go ahead. Noone in the class I took on Lynch managed to say anything remotely intelligent in its defence; they just shouted "it's really good" and "you just don't get it" and muttered something about "Lynch's universe", while the teacher said "That's right".

"Wild at Heart is a comedy of sorts, and has some very good bits, but all in all, a disappointment."

It's awful. I would have walked out when they start doing that kick-dancing in the desert, but I had to watch it for a class. It isn't remotely funny.

"Lost Highway, which you somehow forgot to mention (along with Eraserhead and Dune--but that's a whole other story), is a truly creepy and disturbing piece of work which I quite enjoyed."

I wasn't trying to review every work by each film-maker - just a few examples. Lost Highway is pretty good. Haven't seen the others.

"The Big Lebowski was awful. Never understood the clamoring to praise it. "

Hurrah. I'm not alone.

"you can't tell me that The Hudsucker Proxy and Miller's Crossing are "great.""

They're very good. Not great as in "best films of all time", but very enjoyable, intelligent films. Though it's years since I saw HP. Better than Blue arseing Velvet [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

"must admit to being one of the only Coen Bros. fans who didn't fall all over myself loving the hell out of Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou.

But Blood Simple was pretty damned good."

Not seen either of them.