View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: just a matter of preference

Really, how often do you see someone re-raise the flop puting 1/3 of their stack in, and then fold?

<raising hand>

I think you lose a lot if you just assume they can't. I have to know they can't before I'll just arbitrarily push in with the nuts. If they can, I wanna figure out how best to make money on the hand.

Whenever your opponent can rule out certain hands with certainty that gives them an advantage.

I can understand this, but you also have to be playing in games where your opponents see you all the time. Maybe some of you guys do, and in such a case I'd strongly suggest a rare limp EP with AA (maybe KK, but I'm less inclined to do that) to mix it up. But if you're not seeing your opponents REGULARLY, then it's not worth it.

Let's say you'll limp AA 5% of the time from the first three positions. You get them 1/220 hands, you have three positions to play them for. Correct me if my math's wrong, but that's basically saying you're gonna limp in those spots once out of every 1,450 hands you're dealt in those positions. And if there's an average of nine players at your table, that's saying you limp AA once out of every 4,400 hands. Are you sitting with enough opponents that will see you play 4,400 hands and see you limp your AA such that it improves the value you get from simply raising with them that one time?

i.e. Does the value you lose from the occasional opponent that has seen several thousand hands from you and knows you won't limp AA in EP outweigh the value you lose limping AA?

I don't see it unless you're basically playing with the same guys all the time, AND that all of them are deep thinkers/strong players.

- C -