View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: A Playoff Solution For College Football

[ QUOTE ]
So in your proposed 4 team system, how are 4 teams determined? Last I checked, their are 6 major conferences. How does Notre Dame factor in? What if a small conferecne school goes undefeated?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I stated in the op, the 4 teams would be determined using the same sort of BCS rankings which are used now. There would be 4 additional spots for teams from the other conferences to play in the 2 non-final 4 bowls, and a third major bowl could be added if you wanted 6 teams instead (I believe a fifth bowl is going to be added in the bcs anyways).

[ QUOTE ]
So who makes your playoff in 2004? 5 teams finish the season undefeated, how are you going to tell an undefeated team they don't deserve a playoff spot?
USC 12-0
Oklahoma 12-0
Auburn 12-0
Utah 11-0
Boise State 11-0
Lousiville 10-1

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy. USC, OU, Auburn, and Utah. Louisville had a loss and played a pretty weak schedule. If a team from a terrible conference like Boise St. wants to make it, they're going to have to play a tough non-conference schedule like they did this year to have a chance.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you just forget the Big Ten, Big East & ACC because they all took turns beating each other up? What about Cal? You could argue that they deserve a shot with their only loss by 6 points to USC.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, the biggest myth in college football is that the reason the Big 10 rarely has a team in the national championship because they beat each other up all season. The fact of the matter is, the Big 10 is the most overrated conference the last 25 years. Year in and year out, the SEC and Big 12 are significantly better, and the new ACC is going to be better than the Big 10 on a yearly basis too.

Take this year for instance. No team in the Big 10 would have a shot in hell of winning the SEC, Big 12, ACC, or PAC 10.

As I stated above, the league champions would get to play in the non-final 4 bowls, which should probably be expanded to 3 instead of 2 as I originally stated. So there would be 5 bowls which would rotate the national championship game. This way every major conference champion and a couple of at large teams would play in the major non-final 4 bowls.

[ QUOTE ]
Your system is leaving out the most important details; how are teams selected and how is the money spread around?

[/ QUOTE ]

The money would be spread around the same way. There would just be alot more of it. Teams who make the final 4 bowls would get X money. The two final 4 winners would also get Y money. The conference champs and at large teams in the non-final 4 bowls would get Z money. Also, you do realize that conference teams who play in these bowls share this revenue with there conferences?

A BCS type poll similar to what they're currently using would be used to select the final 4 teams, as I stated above.