View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Conservative Perception of Liberals

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone is inclined to propose solutions that won't work - I'm not sure what accountability has to do with it; which isn’t to dismiss accountability as being important.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a great many are inclined to propose just such solutions--inadvertently, of course.

It's often not easy for even highly experienced and knowledgeable persons in a given field to come up with truly workable solutions, especially to knotty problems.

I'm just suggesting that those in insular, non-accountable environments may be more likely to propose solutions that sound good in theory but fall short in real-world application, than would be their counterparts who are actually out there "doing."

On another tack, compare successful CEOs or owners of large successful companies with professors of business. Granted, their realms of expertise may both overlap and have distinct parts, but who is more likely to be able to take over a failing Chrysler Motors Corporation and turn it around (as did Lee Iacocca)? The devil is often in the details, and the star CEO well may be a better businessman, even if his purely theoretical knowledge is in some regards less than that of his professorial counterpart. And while some may be motivated purely by love of learning and teaching, the hugest financial rewards are in performance--so on average the very best business minds are probably out in the field applying their skills rather than staying in academia (does not apply to ALL; just on average).

Proposing solutions without having some accountability in the sense of real-world application--and its success or failure--is a likely ticket to a failed attempt. On another note, look how miserably the centrally-planned and centrally-owned economy of the USSR performed--and compare it with the Chinese economy, which allows a stake in ownership for a great many people. Hands-on ownership/business management is vastly superior to hands-off/distantly planned, for the most part.