View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Wedding Registry-- who, what, why

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it considered in poor taste to not register and ask for cash instead? Because right now, that's my plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but that doesn't stop people. The point of the gifts is that everyone helps the bride and groom get started on their new life together by giving gifts such as silverware, dishes, appliances, and furniture.

This is rather antiquated as couples tend to live together before marriage and already have all that [censored].

However, gift cards (which returnable merchandise pretty much is anyways) and gifts are in far better taste than asking for straight cash. This is almost always the case in gift giving situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why cash is in bad taste, but gift certificates aren't. Cash is like a gift certificate that you can use anywhere. I don't see the difference, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

There really isn't a practical reason. As a [censored] player I understand this, but basically it's just one of those things that people over about 30 tend to think. I'm not trying to say younger people are more rational, they just don't have a hang-up about cash as a gift for whatever reason.