View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Conservative Perception of Liberals

[ QUOTE ]
I went to Carnegie-Mellon for awhile and Harvard is considered a joke for this exact reason. They are real smart people but are isolationists and control freaks that try to pin constants to ease variables so much that it distorts reality. So their theories work great in the classroom, but fail miserably in the real world. They are very articulate as well. Works well in the law department but not in the other fields.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no head-hunter, but I'm under the impression (even from my own employer) that Harvard graduates are highly sought after in many fields; not just the law field (I work at a software company). So I can't imagine Harvard is truly a joke, unless I'm mistaken.

And I don't understand why Harvard's theories fail miserably in the 'real world'. Because it's been cited twice now, I'm rather curious as to what the 'real world' is. I don't want to completely destroy waxie's thread, so if someone is so inclined, they can PM me the answer. I really don't understand what people are referring to when they reference the 'real world' and why Harvard is outside of it. I grew up in the Boston area, and can indeed confirm (for those who haven't been) that it's an actual place and does exist in the real world (as I know it).

Sarcasm aside, I'm not getting this whole 'real world' concept.