View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Do We Work Too Hard?

"No, it doesn't. Those who do the most valuable work get rewarded."

Not so. There are plenty of nurses or teachers or what not who make much less money than a professional athlete. Stay at home mothers do very important work for society by bringing up children, but are not paid.

The fact is, the family unit is the most important part of society, but our economy does not recognize this in a practical way. Children these days are an economic burden, and it is unjust for people to be materially rewarded more than the families who contribute to society by raising good citizens.

To answer your other question, I work for myself through investing and gambling. The problem with our capitalism is that it is not free enough. There should be more small business and less of a tax burden on the individual. At the same time it is right and proper to curtail the rights of individuals or businesses for the common good. Monopolies do not enhance quality of life except for a priveleged few. And government control screws up everything even more so. The vast majority of people in North America are middle class, and it is this class which is most burdened by our economic system. Those not wishing to contribute get a free card through social welfare, and those who are rich have means to extricate themselves from the situation.

As I stated before, the majority of people in our economy, whether they recognize it or not, are wage slaves.