View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Racism in the NBA and NFL

Well, guys...here's the thing. I see a racist element at work in some of these decisions. I've explained my reasons for seeing that racist element, and I've rebutted all the basic claims that have been made against my reasoning. More and more of you are piling on making the same general arguments (ie - league trying to appeal to white fans, trying to "protect" young players, trying to protect their bankrolls from their own greed, you have to wear certain clothes to work so why shouldn't NBA stars, minor league system too costly when you have the indentured servitude of the NCAA, etc.). I've come back rebutting those arguments to the best of my abilites during my many (time-consuming) posts in this thread.

It looks like I'm not changing the principal responders' minds, which I'm okay with. Rest assured you're not changing mine. I believe it's foolish and naive to blithely believe that racism does not at least PLAY A PART in some of these decisions...even if that racism is de facto, tacit, and even subconscious.

But most of you guys do not seem to believe that...fine by me. I'm glad we had the discussion anyway.

Nevertheless, I no longer care because......

THE ASTROS ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!! AND THAT MEANS........SO AM I!!!!!!!!

This thread was really something I started to be a distraction between Games 5 and 6 (also because I thought the discussion would be interesting).

So, unless someone has some new, revolutionary argument to be made on either side of this coin...I think it's probably over. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Go STROS.