View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Racism in the NBA and NFL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My argument was not there were more failure than sucesses my argument is. If LBJ T-Mac etc. went to college they would be similarly succesfull, while Lenny Cooke etc. would not be nearly as big failures.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, you have no way of knowing whether Lenny Cooke would be less of a failure if he went to college. Second, you have no way of knowing if T-Mac or LeBron would be similarly successful had they gone to college...some people do not benefit from learning to specialize at the college game, others get bad coaching in college (my college roommate, a pitcher drafted out of high school by the Braves but opted to go to TCU because Nolan Ryan was supposed to be the pitching coach there but left right before my roomy's freshman year, instead learned HORRIBLE habits from a bad coach...totally f'ed up his game, and he was never drafted again -- had he gone straight to the minors, he may have received much better coaching and be a successful player today). Thirdly, you're still assuming that college necessarily helps players to be better in some way, when the evidence that's presently available simply does not support that claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a general fact Education=Good. Obviously I cannot prove my statement as it was hypothetical, but I'm just bringing up an interesting point. However while were on the subject of hypocrisy your claim of your friend becoming a better pitcher if he went pro is just as valid as my point about Lenny Cooke. Also it would be hard for Lenny Cooke to be a much bigger failure, and I bet he wishes he got a free ride at college and earned his degree.

Also many players learn how to win in college. Outside of Kobe and Moses Malone there has not been one highschooler to have a significant impact on a championship team.