View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Lottery at the +EV Point

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

btw: $340M (~170M lump sum) is still -EV if you factor in the 40% in taxes (fed/state/city) you pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the "F" are you guys so worried about whether or not the lotto is -/+EV or not? Wake up, it's $340 Million at stake! I don't play the stupid thing but I am this time just because it's so damn big. I even blew $20, if I don't hit [censored], will I go broke? NO!, will I not retire on time? NO!, is my life affected by it? NO! Will I have to get a loan to pay my bills? NO! Does my girlfriend even care? NO! Will I feel the need to get my money back and play lotto every week until I either go broke or win it? NO! Will I look back on this moment in life and say geez, if I had not made that loose bet I would be up $20 in gambling instead of being labeled a "looser"? NO! Play the stupid thing and hope you get lucky.

GET A GRIP!

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted this more for academic curiosity than anything else. I don't play the lotto, and I wouldn't play it if the jackpot hit 750 million, the odds are just too low for it to be worth my time and money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are just plain dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dumb because as a full time student I don't have the money to be pissing away on 100 million to one longshots? Are you familiar with Utility? I would guess not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have a dollar to spare but you can afford to pay for an ISP??? Were not talking about playing 5/10 poker. But don't play, I don't care.