View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 09:13 PM

Default mixing it up thoughts or comments?

Most of the poker I play is home games for $20 or less for the night or 2/4 limit hold em online. My friends have commented on how predictable I have become in my preflop raising and calling patterns. (I follow the small stakes suggestions from Miller Sklansky and Malmuth) and have recently experimenting with occasionally (about 10% of the time) raising a hand like 6-7 suited preflop. The result has been pretty good, if the flop comes up with an Ace or King and I bet my friends have thought I had top pair with a strong kicker and usually muck all but their strongest hands and if there is no paint on the flop a bet is taken to be a bluff but usually indicates I have a pair, straight or flush draw and I get alot of action.

I wouldn't try this online because most players don't stay at a table long enough to notice betting patterns or aren't good enough to notice anything but their own hand.

Would this type of mixing things up be effective in a B&M or tournament where players tend to be of higher quality?