View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: My version of the \"Try to get me to stay in school\" thread. Advice?

As a forward, I'm a internist, not a psychiatrist. I've helped a lot of people with fairly straightforward cases of clinical depression, and started with some much more complex cases before referring them to psychiatrists for further treatment.

[ QUOTE ]
Losing interest in things you used to enjoy, especially social activities, is a classic sign of depression. So is withdrawing into an escapist activity. (Of which online Poker is a fine example.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

[ QUOTE ]
While on meds I just had a very up beat personality and people wanted to be around me... which is why I still get alot of calls nowadays from friends from my freshman year inviting me to go to parties with them but I always make up some excuse why I can't. I'll say that i'm going home for the weekend or something, when really I just don't want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really going to attempt a serious diagnosis from a few posts on 2+2, but there's enough here to at least suspect clinical depression. The second quote makes be wonder about bipolar disorder as well. I saw that several times. Someone would come in depressed, I'd start them on an antidepressant and the next thing you know they're the life of the party. What happened was the antidepressant unmasked their manic tendencies. And mania can be even more of a problem than depression. If you think playing poker while you're depressed can be an issue, watch a manic play. 72o? No problem, I'll just outplay them postflop!

You also mentioned that you thought the parties were boring because of where you are, and that if you're financially secure in the future you can move somewhere more interesting where you'll have access to more interesting parties. I don't know where you go to school, but even if it's a small school in the middle of nowhere, it's unlikely you'll ever find another place where there is such a concentration of people your age with similar interests.

Besides, it sounds like you found them when you were taking your meds. And I think it's unlikely that you outgrew them when you stopped.

The people here who are advising you to seek medical help are giving you good advice. A psychiatrist might be the answer, but be wary of someone who just wants to push pills, as there are several medical conditions besides depression which can present similarly.

I'm open for PM's as well, but honestly, it sounds like Atticus would be able to help you more.